Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Queen

"To tell you the truth...you talk in a vry queenish way...its a bit off ptting..."

I got this as a text message from some random guy in Goa, who I'd been texting for exactly 2 weeks before I decided to put a stop to the whole thing. Did it sting? Ofcourse! But it also got me thinking about me...

I have a voice which is quite unique. Its not the usual rich baritone that others of my age have. For some reason God decided to bless me with a voice which is thin like a woman's (copy of my mum's voice acutally).

Almost everytime that I speak I public I have gotten the "look". I have been made fun of, jeered, laughed at, ridiculed, irritated and sometimes admired and appreciated for my vocal capabilities.
More often than not if someone unknown was to call me, they'd think that its a woman on the other end of the line, thereby sometimes offering me the chance to get away from pesky phone calls

"Hello...am I speaking with Mr XXX?"
"Who's this?"
"Am calling from XXX Bank ma'am, I was wondering if I could talk to him about a credit card?"
"Oh..no no..he is in the shower please call after an hour"
"Oh Sure, thanks!"

...and sometimes causing great delay in me accessing important information..like from my bank account!

"...I dont think you're Mr XXX"
" I just gave you all the info about my bank account including my secret password..."
"Yes but still am not convinced"

But for everything I've never ever, even once wished I had a voice different than others. If anything I have been proud of this natural gift that I have, having defined me in many ways.

But that one sms tonight really did sting and for the first time in my life am considering trying to change my voice, begin smoking or something maybe...get in the set pattern everyone has for the world. Belong somewhere.

I think am a bit tired of fighting and ignoring all the barbs thrown at me.

Maybe its just better to be 'one of them'.

1 comments:

The Pilgrim said...

I agree with Mithya. I still miss your voice. Remember Me!!!
I am from Pune. In a newspaper. Was writing a book... For which I took your interview;

The book book is out and I wanted to contact you regarding it. Is it possible for you write to me and give me a call at 9822421619. I am sorry, I lost your number.