Thursday, March 29, 2007

Lonely

Forty years ago, The Beatles asked the world a simple question. They wanted to know where all the lonely people came from. My latest theory is that a great many of the lonely people come from a stationary shop. More precisely from the ink these stores sell, which glides on paper as a writer writes a story. As writers we ignore our own needs so we can meet our characters' needs. We ignore our friends and families so we can create other people's friends and families. Which means that at the end of the day all we really have is ourselves. And nothing in this world can make you feel more alone than that. 400 years ago another well known English guy had an opinion about being alone. John Donne. He thought we were never alone. Of course it was fancier when he said it. No man is an island entire unto himself. Boil down that island talk and he just meant that all anyone needs is someone to step in. And let us know we're not alone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a lonely walk on a path that had no directions.
The path had to be created not sure where will it lead. The left had eternity, right had love, the front was cluelesss and the back I had left so far behind.
What do I do my friend? What do I choose? Will eternity give me love or will love help me attain eternity? Do I carry on walking on the baseless path, do I have the energy, am I scared of failure or death? What am I doing, why am I here, who are you, why am I talking to you.
Are you my reflection, is it a dream.................I still carry on walking.....

Anonymous said...

There was someone following me. I walked scared but the person maintained the same pace, the same path and his actions matched mine. What the freak was this guy doing. Do I fight or shout for help? My mobile had run off battery, the road was lonely, there was a chill in the air,,,, I am scared.